Yale Repertory Theatre
Yale Repertory Theatre is home to Yale Repertory Theatre, a professional theater company. The building was formerly the Calvary Baptist Church, originally constructed in 1871. When the church moved to a new location in 1967, the building was converted into a theater for Yale Repertory Theatre, re-opening in 1970. As a theater, the building has been the location for several important world premieres that later went onto Broadway or further renown, including several plays by August Wilson.
Today, the building contains a 485-seat theatre including backstage facilities, dressing rooms, a basement lounge for theater patrons, and Yale Rep’s main box office. Yale Rep stages 6 productions annually from September to May in both the Yale Repertory Theatre Building and the University Theatre on York Street. The building is also used occasionally for productions by Yale School of Drama (students in the graduate MFA programs) and the Yale Dramatic Association (Yale’s undergraduate theater ensemble).
1120 Chapel Street
New Haven, CT
Chapel and York Street